Monday, January 31, 2011

Bedtime Reading

Since I've started blogging about my running I find I'm reading books less at night.  The reason being is the time I would normally spend reading books I now find myself reading running blogs.  There are some great blogs out their full of information, tips and real motivation.

The last book I read was on my holidays at Christmas and is the reason I developed an injury.  It wasn't my fault running through a searing pain while my knee screamed no more, oh no I'm not to blame it was the book I read. The book was "Once a Runner" by John L. Parker Jr.

 (Image from amazon.co.uk)
This book was such an easy read, I flew through it cover to cover.  It helped me reengage with my running that had stopped after the half-marathon in September.  I had been so happy when I finished the half-marathon that I just stopped running for a few months.  I read the book and felt, once again the need to run.  In my wisdom I decided I was still as fit as I was three months earlier and felt I could push myself hard to make up for lost time.  Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.  Three hard runs in three days saw me do damage, which now seems to be on the mend.  As it is on the mend I can look on the bright side, which is the valuable lesson that I learned and I hope I remember.  Listen to my body when I run.  If it is fine and feeling good an extra kilometre or two is nice.  If it is tired and sore be careful and if there is pain that doesn't feel right slow down and stop if necessary, there is no point in injuring yourself because a good day will be just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment