Monday, January 3, 2011

First Run of 2011 and Injured

What a great way to start the New Year.  It is my own fault for pushing myself too hard last week.  The knee pain that I had last year and was the reason I dropped out of a half marathon I had registered for in June is back.  I managed to get to a distance of 4km today and the knee gave in.  I had to walk the last kilometre back to the car.  Bad start to the year.  The pain is on the outside of the knee and hits it at some stage in the run.  All is fine and then bang.  When I start to walk all is OK but I can't get to run again.

This has put a real question mark on the Lisbon Half in March.  At least it is over 10 weeks away and last June the pain came two weeks before the race.  The only thing for it is to try and run low distances for a while and to rest.  Next run won-t be until Thursday as I'm going to rest the next two days.  I plan to run 3km on Thursday just to test it and there will be a lot of stretching in between to try and strengthen the problem area.

Here is the details of my run.  Started with a 1km warm up, some stretching then and that was to be followed by 4 more kilometres of which I managed just 3.  No soundtrack to today's run as I ran with a friend.

3 comments:

  1. I would say that probably the lack of running in the last months become the key factor for the injury... but hey it seems like something that you can workaround :)

    Take your time, rest and take care of your knee (check a doctor if necessary), keep your motivation because there will always be time till March and be positive help the healing process!

    Did you consider using something like an elliptical machine ?
    As far as i know is very good for work the knees ...

    //nice to see that you setup Garminconnect to show in the blog, it looks very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes have considered the elliptical machine but would need to go to a gym. I'm going to do a lot of stretching and run some small runs 3km or so for teh next two weeks, maybe run twice in one day to build up. This has happened before so I should be able to work around it as long as I don't push too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice to see that you have a plan B to work around the injury :)

    //i am writing from ana's old laptop, both ramito and zezinha wish you a good recovery

    ReplyDelete