Saturday, January 29, 2011

Joy, Joy and More Joy

I guess the Lisbon Half Marathon is more than a race to me.  About two years ago I, on a night out and half joking, said to my friends I'm going to run the Dublin Marathon and what followed was laughter.  The next day while sober I though maybe it is a big ask but a half marathon is not out of the question.  So I tried to get a few friends interested in the Lisbon half as I thought it would also make a good holiday.  I began running properly in January last year and now there are three of us scheduled to run the Lisbon half.

But during the first run of 2001 I got injured I have not managed to run more than 3.8km without my knee saying "stop, no more, I quit".  With the Lisbon half marathon only 7 weeks away I've begun to get more disillusioned and began thinking that it was just a dream that I would not be able to run across the bridge in Lisbon, until today.

Today I got up asking myself am I wearing the IT Band strap correctly.  I checked out the image on the box and it seemed that maybe I've had it slightly out of position (upside down).  I drove to the Éire Óg clubhouse, which is a Gaelic Football ground with a 1km floodlight track and ran there.


I adjusted the strap to the correct position and began running at a steady pace.  After 1km I stopped and stretched out my now warmed up legs and then I ran some more.  In my head the goal was to reach 4km and hope my knee would be quiet.  When I reached 4km pain free and surprised I kept going.  5km still pain free the legs kept going. Once I hit 6km I stopped but still I was pain free.  I stretched out and drove home for the first time this year happy with my run and feeling that Lisbon is a distinct possibility.

5 comments:

  1. nice!!!
    tomorrow i have an 16km schedule ... it will be a mental wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with it. Let me know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it was strange :S
    from the start i feel tired (probably because of bad sleep or beacuse i take work home this weekend) but anyway i was able to run for 8km (at 6:45/km) but after that i feel really tired so for the second 8km i walk ...

    Even walking i was able to keep my heart rate on 140bpm and always keep the same pace,

    This week i have another 5km/8km/8km/16km plan, hope get better results :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with this weeks training. Having completed the 16km at the weekend should give you all the confidence you need. You should have no problems finishing the 21km in seven weeks.

    I'm still building up to it but I think I should be able to run it.

    ReplyDelete