Monday, June 6, 2011

Juneathon - Day 6: Running

6km was the plan for today as I was feeling a bit tired and my calf muscles were a bit sore.  I had planned to run in the morning but the few drinks last night stopped that.  I woke up this morning and decided that more sleep was needed and rolled over to sleep for another 2 hours.

It was after 8pm when I did get out and I didn't want to go.  If it wasn't for Juneathon I may have stayed at home.  It looked like rain as I left the house but thankfully it held off for the run.  My legs were very sluggish, I guess exercising everyday has left them a little tired.  The first km was in 5.51 and I was tired.  I stopped to stretch out and then continued. The next two km were 5.58 and 5.59.  I can't remember the last time I went out on my own and ran this slow.  The next two km were 5.52 and 5.56 with the 6th km a 6.02.  The legs were tired and it showed.  

At least one positive of the run was that my average heart rate was 150bpm.  I read somewhere that the if you can maintain a heart rate of 150 the pace that you run is a good pace for completing a marathon.  Of course you still need to train the legs to run long distances but this would be a good gauge of pace.  If that is the case them my goal time at this stage for a marathon would be 4 hours 11 minutes.  I'd be very happy with that time, a good goal to aim for.  I'm going to use Juneathon to build up a base fitness and marathon training will begin in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment