Sunday, July 31, 2011

DCM: Wk:14 5km Recovery

I started running back at the beginning of 2010 due to a health scare at the end of 2009.  A severe bout of chest pains landed me in hosiptal and after a few tests with no conclusions stress was put down as the cause.  I knew I needed to get back into shape and began running as it was something I always enjoyed but hadn't done for a number of years.  I called the blog Recovery Runner to remind me of why I decided to run again and to recover my health.

Last year I ran on and off but this year has been better and I already ran longer and further than last year.  However with all this talk of recovery, today was the first time though that I did a proper recovery run.  My calf muscles and Achilles tendons have been tender and sore lately and I have put it down to increasing the distance run while running constantly on the road and running too many faster runs.  So last week I went to McMillan Running Calculator which, if you put in your last best race will give you the pace you should be running at for your long runs, speed workouts and recovery runs.  While I was still a bit faster today than I should have been it is the slowest I've run for a long time and I feel great after it.  Maybe the experts do know a thing or two that I could learn.

I've since adjusted my target pace for certain runs and inputed them into my Garmin to make sure that I stick to them and so far so good.  I'll report back in a week or two on how the muscles are reacting as the distance goes up but the pace zones stay in correlation with the calculator.

1 comment: