Sunday, July 24, 2011

DCM Week 15: Long

Yesterday's run was a nice 15km on a lovely day.  When I woke up the sun was shining.  It's been a while since that has happened in the wet country of ours.  The weather has been pretty miserable in June and July, more like winter than summer, but yesterday was a glorious day.

A nice easy 500m warm up, a stretch and I was on my way.  I had put the IT band strap on my right knee as it was giving me a bit of trouble on Thursday's run and I had put a Nuun hydration tab in my water.  I had read about Nuun tabs on blogs and some bloggers swear by them so I thought I'd give them a go.  I had the orange flavoured ones.  The taste is like lightly flavoured water but there is a slight fizz also.  I'm not sure if I'm mad about the taste or the fact that as I run they bubble up so when getting near the bottom of the drink you get foam but they did seem to do the job they are meant to, in that they kept me hydrated on a warm day.  I'll stick with them until the end of the tube and see how I go.

The run itself was non-eventful except that my right leg must be getting too much work.  The IT band is currently fine but my Achilles tendon is very tender today.  I was supposed to run a 5km recovery run today but on account of the Achilles I've decided to rest up.  Next run is on Tuesday.  14 weeks and counting to the Dublin City Marathon.  Here's hoping the tendon will be in better shape by Tuesday.  If anyone has any tips on taking care of your Achilles tendon I'd love to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment