Monday, July 18, 2011

DCM Week 15: Speed

So there is only 15 weeks left to the Dublin City Marathon and so far my training has not gone to plan.  Last week was a complete write off.  I woke up on Monday with a head cold, which had me totally bunged up and miserable.  I had no energy to run and probably would not have been able to breath had I run.  The cold started to clear on Friday afternoon, which was good timing as I was supposed to run a 5 mile race on Saturday morning.  So my only run of the week was that 5 mile race on Saturday, race report to follow in the next few days.

Tomorrow is going to be a busy day, work wise, so I moved Tuesday's run to today.  The plan called for an 8km run so I programmed the Garmin for an 8km pyramid speed workout.  It was tough but doable and the legs are getting a good workout.  I never look forward to speed workouts but I'm glad I've done them when they are over as I can feel the benefits of them.  I calculated a bit wrong and ended up running the cool down fast as I though I had another 400m fast to come.  For a perfect pyramid I should have run another 400m fast, so I wasn't wrong but that would have put me well over the 8km target for today.  I was a bit surprised when the watch said workout finished and I thought I still had 900m to go.  A small jog back to the car was my cool down, a nice round of stretching and then home.

3 more runs left this week, a 6.5km, a 15km and a 6km run.  I need to be focused for the remainder of the plan.  Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment