Saturday, July 30, 2011

DCM: Wk:14 21km Long

Thursdays 5km went out the window.  There was a family emergency and the run was totally forgotten.  I'm now into a very important three weeks.  The distance starts to creep up with today being a nice 21km.  I'm on holidays for the next three weeks also, in Portugal so I'll have to contend with the heat.  I hope this will make the run in to higher distances when I get home easier as the temperatures will be cooler.

I got up early this morning, early for me and ran what is probably my first run before 7am.  I have present my garmin before I left for holidays with the runs I need to do and with pace zones for the runs to ensure I don't run too fast and end up burning out.  Todays runs was nice and easy and clocks my slowest ever time for the distance, but not by much.  The great thing for me was that it was just my legs that were tired, the break during the week had help but my muscles are still recovering.  My breathing was good and my average heart rate was the best it has ever been for this distance.  I have ran this distance five times now, but never further.  This run was probally the most relaxed one I've done.

In two weesk time I'll run my very first 24km run, here.  It will be another early start.  I've been using Nuun hydration tabs for my long runs and they seem to be working.  While I'm still not enamered by the taste todays run felt nice, even in the heat and I didn't feel dehydrated during the run.  I'll see how this continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment