Thursday, August 4, 2011

DCM Week 13: Mid-week Runs

Tuesday
This was a bad run day for two reasons.
1. 500 metres into the run my Garmin died. I was sure I charged it after my last run. I hope it's not on its last legs.  Two weeks ago it refused to reset after a run, not good.  It's a good thing I knew the route so I could be sure to cover the distance I was supposed to.

2. I think I did something to my Achilles tendon on my right foot. It began to hurt towards to end of the run, not much though, but 5 hours later I had difficulty walking, definitely not good.  Ice pack was required. 7km done.

Wednesday
This was supposed to be a 6km run but the tendon was not up for it so that got shelved and became a rest day with a little more icing thrown in for good measure.

Thursday
"Woke up this morning, feeling fine", well close to it anyway.  I decided to try the run today and see how I got on. The plan was 6.5km, but I would be happy with 3km done.  I changed the pace zone on the Garmin to a nice easy run and left the house.

I walked the first 500 metres to warm up and jogged the next 500 metres to complete the warm up. After a bit of easy stretching off I went.  There was a bit of slight discomfort for the first km but that disappeared quick enough.  I kept a nice easy, slow pace throughout. At around 4km the discomfort came back but never moved into pain.  I finished up having done 7.3km, not including walking and walked the .5km back to the house for a nice round of stretching.

I've iced the tendon up again and with tomorrow being a rest days hopefully it's on the mend, fingers crossed.  It's going to be easy runs, with no speed or hills gore the next two weeks just to be sure things are fine.  I don't want to put myself out for a while.  Also it seems my Garmin is ok.  I must have turned it on to check something but forgot to turn it off, searching for satellites indoors is a quick way to running out of battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment