Friday, March 18, 2011

Rising Temperatures

A few days ago I was contemplating a PR in the Lisbon half on Sunday.  I had checked the long term weather forcast which said sunny, blue skies and 18ºC.  Perfect for an attempt at a PR, or so I thought.  Three days ago the weather forecast stated 20ºC, two days ago it was giving 22ºC and yesterday on arrival in Portugal the weather forecast said 24ºC for Sunday.

This morning I ran a small 4km as my last outing before the half.  It was 16ºC out.  The past few runs I been doing at home have been in temperatures between 4ºC and 8ºC, granted I was well wrapped up.  Today was the first run done this year without a jacket and I could still feel the heat difference as I was out.  Sunday will be 8ºC warmer.  I've since revised my goal of a PR and will just go out and run it and see what happens.  I hope there will be a lot of water stations on the route.

I'm going into the city today to collect my race pack and my wife's family are cooking pasta for dinner tonight and tomorrow night.  I'll be making sure I get enough water in today and tomorrow and during the race.  I've even brought porridge from Ireland for breakfast the mornign of the race.  I'm also not having any wine until after the race.  I think yesterday was the first St. Patrick's Day in a long time that was a dry one for me, but I'll celebrate Sunday night instead.

1 comment: