Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I'm Registered

I've just gone and done it.  I went through the terror and signed up for my very first marathon.  I've been humming and hawing about it for over a month now and could never bring myself to actually do it, but it's done now.  I'm going to run and finish the Dublin City Marathon on the 31st October 2011.

I've decided that while I'm doing this I'm going to try and raise some money for a very deserving charity, the Irish Cancer Society.  The Irish Cancer Society is financed entirely by voluntary contributions from the public and receives no government funding.  Cancer is one illness that doesn't discriminate.  It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, fit or unfit and everyone has been touched by cancer in some way, either directly or indirectly.  In my family one of my uncles died of bowel cancer at the age of 50, one of my cousins has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer and I have a very good friend who has just been diagnosed with leukemia.

To help me raise some money for the Irish Cancer Society I've set up an online fundraising page.  Any support would be very much appreciated.


4 comments:

  1. Well done Thomas, it's a brilliant marathon - you'll absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Thomas. And always great to run for a cause! Peace EricG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I'm sorry to hear about your family members. Happy for you & excited to watch your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. I am looking forward to it. 28 weeks to go. Should be enough time to get ready I think.

    ReplyDelete