Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pushing Out The Boat

Today was initially supposed to be a regular 5km run in my build up to the Lisbon Half in March.  Since I injured my ITB in December I've been taking it easy and trying to come back slowly in the hope that I would be ready for the Half.

I went to where I work as it is a 2.4km loop around the block, which I was going to run twice with a little extra to make up the 5km I needed for today.  I ran the first kilometre in 5:12 and then stopped to stretch.  I've been doing this for the past few runs, running the first kilometre to warm up and then stretching to make sure the knee was not pushed to hard and given the best chance to heal.  It was after the first kilometre that I decided that today was the day to check on the healing an push it for the last 4km.

I finished the full 5km in 24:21 which is the fasted I've ever run 5km.  It doesn't really count in that it wasn't 5 consecutive kilometres but I did manage 4:29 for one kilometre, which is faster than I've ever run a kilometre before.  I finished the last 4km in 19:10.  The knee caused no trouble, the heat rate was through the roof but it felt great. 13km planned for Saturday.  Great day

No comments:

Post a Comment