Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lisbon, I'm Ready

I woke up today and thought about postponing the long run until tomorrow.  I'd been out at the local sports star awards last night and was very tired.  Looking out the window the morning was perfect for running, dry, sunny and cool.  After a little procrastinating I eat a little porridge and a banana, got changed and left the house.

I'd been checking on mapmyrun for a good local run around 5km.  There was a large loop that mapmyrun said was 5.3km so I thought I'd try to do that three times.  The goal for today was 16km but I would be happy 15km.  As I set off I was not feeling great.  The first 5km was run in 28:01 and as I spotted that I thought I may slow down for the next 5km or I won't last the distance.  The distance that mapmyrun said was 5.3km was mapped at 5km flat by my garmin, which I would trust more.  At 6km I began asking myself what I was doing running, I was not really feeling it. 

The second 5km was run at 27:50, so I had not managed to slow down at all, whoops. Mental note to take the next 5km slower.  At 13km I was beginning to feel good and the knee was not causing any major trouble, a few twitches, that's all.  I reached 15km doing the third 5km in 27:01, faster still.  I was getting faster each time.

Still feeling OK, the legs a little tired now, I decided to try for 18km.  The final 3km were run at 15:51 again an increase in pace making 18km in 1:38:43.  Having only managed 18km twice before this was my fasted ever 18km.  At this pace I would be able to finish Lisbon in under 2 hours.  I'm still looking to just finish the race but the head is contemplating a new PR.  Either way I think I'm ready for Lisbon.

No comments:

Post a Comment