Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yep, I'm Injured

I've been icing my Achilles as much as I can and putting Arnica Gel on the tendon in the hope that I would get better.  So far there has not been that much of a recovery.  Today, a little annoyed and probably not to clever I went out for a run in my new Brooks Ghost 4.  They felt great but I only got to 4km when I thought that I may stop before I do damage.  Back home and out with the ice again.

My new Brooks just before their inaugural run


This has really put my marathon training in disarray.  With only 6 and a half weeks or so to the marathon I'm not sure I'll be in the right condition.  There is a half marathon on this weekend and I just may have to miss it in the hopes of getting some recovery in.  Any tips on how to quicken recovery?

4 comments:

  1. Funnily enough, the post I was reading just before yours was about AChilles injuries as I am fighting one at the moment too! Running OK in the UK blogged some tips here: http://runningokintheuk.blogspot.com/2010/09/achillies-injury-complete-recovery.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a million for the link fortnightflo. I'll have a good read of it today. I'm off to the physio today at 4pm. Leg feels fine now, not 100% but on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome. Achilles is such a crap injury - you think it's getting better then BAM it comes back again! RICE and lots of strengthening exercise is the way to go I think. Hope you recover quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that you are feeling better now, Thomas! How is your Achilles heel now? Reading your blog, I can feel your frustration and disappointment. It is understandable to feel that way, especially if you are really into marathon. It is good that you are icing the injured area since it reduces inflammation and swelling. I would advise that you go under physical therapy if you are still experiencing difficulty in your heel. [Madalyn Oconnell]

    ReplyDelete