Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Step In The Right Direction - A Week In Review

This is the first week this year that I have managed to get in 3 runs.  I feel like my motivation to run is coming back.  I'm a long way off where I was but I'm enjoying every step of getting back there.

Tuesday - 5th June 2012
I met up with two friends on a nice country road and we ran a comfortable 3.5km.  It is always nice to run with friends, to catch up and push each other on.  We finished with a small hill to round out the 3.5km.

Thursday - 7th June 2012
You would hardly believe it is summer around these parts.  Thursday was another miserably wet day in this green country.  I was still going to go out for a run despite the flood warnings and torrential downpour.  I actually don't mind running in the rain, there is something oddly relaxing about it.  So, with another friend we decided on 2km out and then turn around and head back.  All in all a nice 4km run.

Sunday - 10th June 2012
For the first time this year I hit 3 runs in one week.  My year has been off to a very poor start.  With 6 months almost gone the comparison with last year is non-existent.  I might do a six month comparison at the end of the month.  Today I decided to go out for 15 minutes, then turn around a head home.  I was hoping to hit somewhere around 5.8km.

It's funny that when I started running I couldn't see how I could run under a 6 minutes for a kilometre.  When I did it I thought how can people run under 5 minutes for a kilometre, so the other goal today was to try to run one kilometre under 5 minutes.

When I finished I had completed 5.77km, in 30 minutes 11 seconds.  I did stop to tie my shoelace on the run which took 11 seconds so I added them on at the end.  I was happy with my run, but checking the runs so far this year my longest is 5.78km, maybe I'll break that next week.

KM Breakdown:
1km: 5:23
2km: 5:17
3km: 5:20
4km: 5:12
5km: 4:53
770m: 5:20

1 kilometre under 5 minutes and the others were at a fairly consistent pace, happy days.

Plan for next week:
Tuesday - 4km
Thursday - 4km
Sunday - 30 minutes

Now to get ready to watch Ireland play Croatia in the Euro 2012's.  Hopefully a win is on the cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment