Sunday, April 3, 2011

First Book of the Year

I've just finished my first book of the year.  Not great going, one book in three months but one book down this year.  The book was "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.


This was a great book.  I only started reading it three weeks ago and it was easy reading.  It is dubbed "A bible for the barefoot running community" and for some reason when I saw that I thought the book might read a little scientific and technical.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  The book is a brilliant story of an amazing race and how it took place while also reflecting on running style, barefoot running and running injury free.  The story flows really well and keeps you engaged all the way through. 

There were a few quotes from the book that I really liked.

"If you are going to try, go all the way," I like this one as I read it before signing up for the marathon and thought, yes if I'm going to run I might as well go all the way and run a marathon.

"You don't stop running because you get old," said the Demon.  "You get old because you stop running."  Probably very true especially as there is now studies to show that running is actually good for your joints and won't kill your knees.

"Just beat the course," I told myself.  "No one else.  Just the course."  I think this one will be running around my head during the marathon.

This really is a great running book and a very entertaining read.  I'd highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment