Tuesday, April 19, 2011

5x800m Speed Workout???

Another speed workout at the track was the plan for today.  I went out with the hope of running 5x800m fast with 200m slow in between.  I got to the track straight after work with my legs still sluggish and sore after Saturday's long run.

A nice 2km warm up went well followed by a nice stretch and then into the 200m slow, 800m fast by five.  I find these tough but I know they are helping and I'm getting faster, Saturday's run was proof enough of that.  However today I wasn't feeling good.  At the third repeat I decided to wimp out and only do four repeats as in previous weeks.  I guess I should have been paying attention to the repeats because what I thought was the third repeat was actually the fourth and I ended up actually doing the five.  A nice 2km cool down followed with a nice stretch and then home.

When I got home and I looked over the times I was delighted with the run.

1st 800m: 3.19
2nd 800m: 3.31
3rd 800m: 3.35
4th 800m: 3.32
5th 800m: 3.12

The fifth 800m was at an average of a 4 minute kilometre, happy days.  I remember when I started running last year at paces of 6.20 a kilometre, trying to get under 6.  When I got under a 6 minute kilometre I often wondered how could anyone run under a 5km kilometre and today I ran 800m at a 4 minute kilometre pace.  How cool is that?...

No comments:

Post a Comment