Wednesday, January 22, 2014

So week three of my training is over and during the week I managed 31.5km over three runs. The first run was an 8.5km run on a lovely cool evening. The second run was yet another 8km but on this one I got to try something new, I got to tryout my Christmas present... A Nathan Endurance Race Vest.

Nathan Endurance Race Vest


I have run with bottles and waist packs before but never with a race vest so I didn't know what it would be like. The vest was great to run with and, at times, I forgot it was there. The vest fit perfectly and there was no movement as I ran. It was great having somewhere to put my phone for the extra security when I run. Even though the pack is great there are a few things that I'm going to have to get used to. One is the bite valve. In order to get water out of the bladder you need to bite on the valve and suck the water out. I've been so used to just opening my mouth and squeezing water out of a bottle into it that sucking feels like a bit of work and I feel I'm getting in less water so I'm drinking more often. Maybe this is a good thing as I think that you are supposed to drink less and often. Time will tell.

The other issue I've found with the pack is that the clip holding the bladder to a loop in the pack, to prevent it from bouncing around, comes loose. In photos online the clip looks different the one I got with my pack. The one I got slides onto the loop, but it easily comes off. The one in pictures online looks like a proper clip and would not come loose unless you removed it yourself. I'm not sure why mine looks different but I'm going to see if I can get a proper clip to secure the bladder in future.

The third run was my longest run for over two years. The run was supposed to be a 16km run but I only managed 15km as my Achilles was acting up and I felt if I pushed any further I might have done damage. All in all I feel I am progressing nicely. Hope the New Year is treating you well and you are getting in a lot of runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment